Thursday, January 5, 2012

Words from Laura Davis

I first met Shawn in 1982! I was at St. Kates and we had a “brother floor” at St. Thomas. 20 Katies hopped on the intercampus bus (hair feathered, lip gloss layered on and I assume some type of cool Levi cords) and headed to St. Thomas to a party our brother floor was hosting. There I met Shawn, who was the Resident Advisor for the floor…his hair feathered finer than any of the Katies. We had several outings as brother/sister floors and I remember Shawn being charming, welcoming and making sure everyone was included.

Fast forward several years to 2003… first child in tow, I joined an ECFE class. There was a boy named Somerville, and when I looked at him I saw Shawn all over again. I asked if they were related and related they were. That is how we met Joanie and Parker. A few years later Joanie (and Shawn) and (Eric and) I delivered baby girls (Carly and Zoe) on the same day, November 4th. Carly’s delivery took no time at all; Zoe’s was another story. Shawn joked about his “good girls” and how they were stars even in delivery.

Shawn hadn’t changed his charming, welcoming and inclusive nature in all of those years and I am sure he touched many lives from the boys on the brother floor to his own family in ways that will live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment