Thursday, January 5, 2012

Words from Bill Henderson

Joanie,

I want to express my deepest condolences to you and your family. I was privileged to have interviewed Shawn before he joined Piper Jaffray and worked closely with him during his time with the firm.

At Parker and Carly’s young age, they will have fond and happy memories of their dad with their mom, relatives and friends further filling their memory banks with stories of Shawn. In addition to being their dad, I want them to know Shawn was an intelligent, talented and well-respected securities professional.

To understand this side of their dad, at some point later in life, I hope they have the opportunity to read about the financial crisis of 2007-2008, the liquidity issues the financial markets ere facing and demise of the municipal bond insurance industry. As you are well aware, the short-term variable rate world Shawn worked in was the most impacted and Piper Jaffray, like all financial services firms, had its financial stability threatened.

Many of us during that period had trouble getting out of bed each day knowing that when we hit the office it was going to be another day of dealing with more crisis. As I am sure you witnessed first hand, Shawn was incredibly strong and courageous throughout the whole period. His professionalism, knowledge and integrity were a source of personal comfort and assurance that our firm would navigate a very tenuous time. Because Shawn carried so much of the burden for our firm, I prayed for him daily during that time.

No man is defined by his job. Rather, we are defined by our legacy as a spouse, a father and a friend. However, I share these thoughts so that at some point Parker and Carly will have a better knowledge of their dad’s history and appreciation for what a talented, gifted and intelligent human being with whom we were blessed to work.

Grief is a long journey you and the children are just beginning. I ache for you, Parker and Carly and am keeping your family in my prayers, as I will for months to come. I hope you are sustained by the thoughts and prayers of so many people who were fond of Shawn.

God bless,

Bill Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment